Tuesday, November 20, 2012

Becoming a bookkeeper: My story

Ever since a young boy I have always loved numbers. My mum tells me stories of me at the supermarket adding items up as they went into the cart and seeing how close I was when we got to the register. Luckily for me growing up in England the sales tax is already in the listed price! Along with loving math I enjoyed solving problems whether it be puzzle books or playing Tetris on my game boy I could never give up until the problem was solved or the level complete.

As I grew older my interest in numbers and math began to blend with my interest in business. The first time I was able to pick which classes I took I elected to do two years of Business Management, Accounting and Math. Not much variation I know but I went for what I am good at and what I enjoy. Following my success in these classes I was accepted into Cardiff Universities Business School where I was able to earn my Bachelor’s degree in Business Management and Accounting. Once my schooling was over it was time for me to go out and put my love of numbers and my education to work. I moved to America and spent some time working in a bank but that wasn’t for me. I then took an internship at the hotel where my Dad was general manager. Going back to my days as a child we used to spend a lot of time in hotels staying with my Dad. Of course I loved using the pool and getting free food and drinks but I spent a surprising amount of time in the offices. Not a place you would expect a kid to be but I enjoyed it helping the staff in any way I could.

Anyway during my internship I was offered a wonderful opportunity in the accounting office of a restaurant group in East Hampton. This was the opportunity I had been looking for to advance my career. Ever since my first day back in May 2010 I have never looked back. I worked with some great people who have taught me so much and helped me grow. I was able to earn a promotion to the position of Assistant Financial Controller which was a great honor for me and gave me the belief that I had a successful career ahead of me.

After two and a half years with the company I decided it was time for a new challenge. I will forever be grateful for the opportunity and support given to me and this is where 3 Lions bookkeeping started. I believe that my mix of bookkeeping experience and business knowledge can be of great benefit to small businesses in my area. I take extreme pride in my work and cannot wait to help local small business succeed.

No comments:

Post a Comment